Tree bracket Fungus at Sandy Beach

Tree bracket fungus is found on old and dying trees

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/tree-bracket-fungus.htm

img_2423

Tree bracket fungus is the fruiting body of certain fungi that attack the wood of living trees. They are of the mushroom family and have been used in folk medicines for centuries. Bracket fungus info tells us that their hard woody bodies were ground to powder and used in teas. Unlike many of their mushroom cousins, most are inedible and of the few that can be eaten, most are poisonous.

Anyone who has tried to remove one of these brackets will tell you that they are rock hard; so hard, in fact, that they can be carved into works of art and beautiful jewelry.

Tree bracket fungus is often referred to as shelf fungus because of the way it sticks out from the infected tree. They are called polypores. Instead of having spore producing gills, they have many pores lined with spore producing cells called basidia. These basidia form woody tubes through which the spores are released into the air. A new layer of spore tissue is added each season on top of the old; and as time passes, these layers grow into the large and familiar bracket.

Fungus info can be taken from these growths. They are used to determine how long does bracket fungus live. The rings can give clues to the age of the growth because each ring represents one growing season, but before that can be determined, one needs to know if there is only one growing season per year in the spring or two seasons, one in spring and one in fall. Depending on the number of seasons, a tree bracket fungus with twenty rings may be twenty years old or only ten. There have been reports of shelves with forty rings and weights up to three hundred pounds.

img_2425

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/tree-bracket-fungus.htm/?print=1&loc=top

Old Jetty and History of Russell Island

 

Jetty

Russell Island Jetty The first settlers on the island relied on their own resources to take themselves and their produce to market. The area to the east of the current jetty was the site of the raf…

Source: Old Jetty and History of Russell Island

Old Wreck

http://moretonbay.biz/part-4-russell-island

Russell Island Jetty

The first settlers on the island relied on their own resources to take themselves and their produce to market. The area to the east of the current jetty was the site of the rafting ground, where the timber-getters would form log rafts to float their timber to sawmills on the mainland. The island’s early farmers also used this area to ship their produce before jetties were built.

Wreck at Russell Island

The jetty accesses Krummel Passage. This passage was formerly known as the Mersen or Marsden Channel, named after Christian Mersen, who selected a couple of parcels of land on Russell Island in the 1870s. He set up a lime burning kiln where he burnt local coral and oysters. This kiln was close to the lime burners’ jetty near the present water transport office and current jetty.


The area now has only relics of the past hidden behind the mangroves below the Cricket Oval where the helicopter also lands for medical emergencies.

dsc_0068

You can see the edges of the past jetties at low tide, and also the mooring post.

This area was once a thriving busy waterway for produce grown on the island…avocados, fruit, timber and also fresh water. There are two wells that had fresh water and the mainland as well as the other islands would also come here for fresh water before there were taps and council water.

well and Paper BarkThe two wells are now on private property and not in use as the water is not as pure as it used to be in the past, as it is now contaminated with iron and bacteria. The wells get fed continually from water seepage from the island and the water would be fresh and pure and they were the main fresh water source for those living on the islands.

18 July

This is the site of a settlement established by Mark Jackson in the 1920s. The Jackson family came to the island about 1905 and took up pineapple farming, one of the first farming families to do so. In 1915 Mark Jackson opened a pineapple cannery that employed up to 20 people in its heyday. It is famous for being one of the suppliers of canned pineapple to Allied troops fighting in France during World War I. Not long after World War I, the cannery closed and was replaced by a sawmill on the same site. Before the mill closed, it supplied timber for a number of island buildings, including a Methodist Church.

The pineapple cannery was built just above the high water mark, apparently because the equipment was too heavy to carry any further up the slope. Mark Jackson also built a jetty and a barge to take produce to the markets, as well as an enclosed swimming pool with a shark barrier. The remains of the structures can be found at the water’s edge below the site of the cannery and sawmill. No settlement is complete without entertainment, so Mark Jackson also built the Bay View Picture Theatre about 1950. Jackson donated five acres for a school oval in 1922, which is today the Jackson’s Oval cricket ground. In its heyday, Jacksonville was one of the main transport nodes, with most of the fruit boats visiting the island in those days travelling along the aptly named Main Channel that runs between Redland Bay and Russell Island. They picked up and delivered passengers and produce from the Logan River, other southern bay islands and the mainland settlements. Little remains of the Jacksonville settlement: the Methodist Church was eaten by white ants and pulled down and the picture theatre burnt down in 1960. All that is left of the pineapple cannery/sawmill are its levelled site and some remnants off Jackson Street. The remains of the jetty and barge can be found down on the water’s edge and some concrete block walls from the swimming enclosure are visible.

Google+

Russell Island Moreton Bay Queensland

Russell Island is situated just off the coast of Brisbane, Queensland Australia. It was first settled in 1866  and become a major supply of fruit and vegetables to the Brisbane market and supplied …

Source: Russell Island Moreton Bay Queensland

Russell island

Russell Island is situated just off the coast of Brisbane, Queensland Australia.

It was first settled in 1866  and become a major supply of fruit and vegetables to the Brisbane market and supplied Australia with oysters from the many oyster farms throughout the area . Today is a cheap land, low cost living place attracting people who cannot afford living on the mainland or who like the idea of living on an island, usually to retire there with their cottage and boat and retirement lifestyles.

DSCN0834

There is a shopping centre with a IGA Supermarket, Chemist, Hairdresser, Take-away that is constantly changing hands and management, a PO, a Bakery and that’s it. Across the road a Police Station manned one day a week, an Ambulance station that is almost complete, a Library, a Motel, Liquor Store and 4 Estate Agents…or is it 5 or 6..There is a Cafe, a Medical Centre and an Estate Agent around the corner and a church and a Rec Hall also used as 4 churches on a Saturday and a Sunday., and the Anglican Church, an original building.

DSCN0858

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Island_%28Moreton_Bay%29

Russell had 1,779 permanent residents in 2006 up 35.9% since 2001.[5] However, this changes dramatically on weekends and holidays when many of the 30% of dwellings on the island which are classified as unoccupied are visited by their owners. Fast ferries and scheduled barges straddle the distance to Redland Bay quickly for most of the day.

In the 2011 Census the population of Russell Island is 2,473, 50.3% female and 49.7% male.

The median/average age of the Russell Island population is 51 years of age, 14 years above the Australian average. This pattern is changing in recent years with Centrelink sending people to live on the island and families bringing children and animals to live cheaper than they can on the Mainland. The pattern is changing and this is reflected in the shopping areas and Ferry travel and the number of people working for the Dole or shopping at the Community Centre Op Shop.

DSCN0839

68.8% of people living in Russell Island were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were New Zealand 6.1%, England 5.7%, Scotland 1%, Philippines 1%, Germany 0.9%

Electricians, builders and plumbers are resident on the Island, making the island somewhat self-supportive. Services include power, phone, broadband, water and garbage collection but sewerage and tarring of the vast majority of streets is still some time away. Garbage is trucked to the mainland for disposal. The Rural Fire Brigade, State Emergency Service and the Ambulance service receive strong volunteer support. Several volunteer Justices of the peace live on the island. A small primary school for around 180 students and there is a swimming pool next door as well as the shark proof swimming enclosure next to the Jetty.

IMG_6289

Russell Island Queensland Australia

Russell Island was named after the British Secretary of State for Colonies, Lord John Russell. In 1871-72 farm lots were sold on the island, the quality of the soil being a strong attraction. Sugar…

Source: Russell Island Queensland Australia

img_7594

Russell Island was named after the British Secretary of State for Colonies, Lord John Russell. In 1871-72 farm lots were sold on the island, the quality of the soil being a strong attraction. Sugar cane and pineapples were grown, and cattle and pigs were raised.

A sawmill was kept supplied from natural stands of trees on the island. In 1916 a primary school was opened drawing children from the four islands. Fruit and vegetables were grown for the Brisbane market in the 1920s-30s.

The middle of Russell Island contains Turtle Swamp, mainly heath land, and the southern part has sandy soil with a trace of wallum country. Subject to tidal inundation in places, much of it was speculatively subdivided in the 1970s, culminating in a criminal trial for conspiracy in 1981-83.

Census populations of Russell-Macleay Islands have been:

ISLAND CENSUS DATE POPULATION
Russell-Macleay 1976 343
1986 1087
1991 2001
2001 3783
Kurragarra 2006 125
Lamb 2006 373
Macleay 2006 1958
Russell 2006 1779

Russell Island has local shops, a primary school, a hall, a church and a bowling club. Its census populations have been 108 (1921) and 158 (1961). Later census figures are for the combined Russell-Macleay Islands.

Russell Island is located on the calm sheltered waters of Southern Moreton Bay, only 45 minutes from Brisbane Airport and the city centre. Russell Island is the largest of the group of islands clustered together between mainland and Stradbroke Island.

It is eight kilometres long and three kilometres wide and has a population of little over 4000 people. Access to the mainland is either by water taxi, which takes approximately 20 minutes and runs half hourly, or by vehicular barge for those wishing to transport their car across. The ferry departs from Banana Street at Redland Bay and the vehicular barge departs from Weinam Street Redland Bay.

The islands are famous for their diverse fauna and flora and parts of Russell have been decreed areas of conservation by the Redland Shire. The weather is generally quite mild with the daytime temperature being 18 to 22 degrees in winter and 22 to 32 degrees in summer. The year-around temperature being mostly 23 to 26 dgerees.

Currently you can buy blocks of land on Russell from as little as $15,000. This is partly because the islands are expensive to live on..travel to the mainland by ferry costs $8 each way, and $150 on the vehicular ferry: and then there is the mainland parking if you wish to keep your own vehicle on the mainland of $12,000 a year